Hawai'i Homeschool Association
Hawai'i Regulations
Frequently Asked Questions
Hawai'i Homeschool Association

HHA does not give legal advice. Articles are for your information only.

Department of Education

The DOE has a good website with the rules for homeschooling:
DOE Homeschooling page

Read the rules and refer to them when dealing with school officials. Most of the problems that arise between parents and school officials are due to simple misunderstanding of the administrative rules. Do not rely on school personnel to tell you what to do. Contact a support group if you need help. Here is a brief description of some of the rules.

Notice of intent

Any parent may homeschool his or her child by filing a notice of intent with the principal of the local public school. The notice may be given on the DOE's Form 4140, or in a letter containing the required information. DOE approval is not needed. The rules say that parents shall have a "record of the planned curriculum," but the plan is not ordinarily shared with the school.

Annual progress report

An annual progress report is required. You have a choice of showing progress via: standardized test scores, an evaluation by a teacher certified in the state of Hawai'i, or a parent-written report providing statements of progress in each subject area and samples of the student's work.

Standardized testing and alternatives

Standardized test scores are normally required in grades 3, 5, 8 and 10. Students may participate in the Statewide Testing Program at the local school, or private testing may be arranged at the parent's expense. Alternatives to standardized testing are allowed: "Parents may request and principals may approve other means of evaluation." In our experience, parents wishing to use other means of evaluation have been able to do so. Parent-written reports and student portfolios have been accepted in lieu of test scores.

Participation in school programs

The State Department of Education has taken the position that, under the existing administrative rules, homeschooled students are not allowed to participate in school classes or extra-curricular activities.

High school diploma

The Hawaii DOE does not award credit towards high school graduation for time spent homeschooled. Diplomas from the adult community school may be earned by taking the GED Tests.